R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
SWTour
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default OVAL CAR

Hey John,

FINALLY got to run your Oval Car on the Capped Track.

Spent the day on Friday at the A MAIN RACEWAY in Bakersfield CA shaking it down. (I Had gone over 2 weeks earlier and did about 20-25 practice laps to scrub in tires and set trims)

W/O making any significant changes (other than Spring Tensions) and one tire change - got it feeling really good.

I had been 2 years since I raced on a short/banked/concrete "CAPPED TIRE" track - so I had to work on ME first...

(well the chassis worked really well, better than the driver)

I had several issues of screws coming loose through-out the weekend, so I chased a few things - plus Steve J. made me a really nice RH Side Nurf wing - but it was interfering w/ the RR trailing arm (I practice w/o it) so it caused excessive LR weight and gave me a push that took a few minutes to catch)

FOR IT's first time on the track - I was very happy with the results.

Issues I had were - RF Droop screw was making contace w/ the steering rod every time the wheels came back to center...it turned the droop screw. (until the RF suspension was fully collapsed) ... I removed the screw.

Front end screws holding the front and pivot sockets, came loose once...and rear pan hard bar screw came loose once, (along with a couple other screws.)

I justs started Rechecking ALL the screws each run - and I was good after that.

I ran this w/ a NASTRUCK BODY in our 2 cell 21.5 class. Progression through practice to race day, started at 5.6 second laps...tuned to 4.8 second laps (on practice day) On race day fast lap was 5.0, but I made NO more gearing, or real changes on race day. (5.0's were pretty much the FASTEST Laps in the class - so I didn't need to make it faster) I played conserative and worked on small chassis adjustments. (all spring)

...a lot of guys looked at the car and laughed - said "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT", yet they all agreed it looked VERY GOOD on the track.

The front end does catch some attention....

Not sure when I'll get to go back and run it again - I'm hoping to run STEVE's next weekend again on the CARPET in So Cal.