R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Hey Guys,

I just finished making some optional standoffs for under the hinge pin block for high bite. Pretty much, it is 2mm taller than the stock ones. They are threaded standoffs. A set screw now will go into the pivot ball, the standoff threads onto the set screw and then you hold the hinge pin block on by threading the 2 4-40 screws into the standoffs. I figured it would be a nice option for those who want to shim high without stacking a bunch of shims. The new standoff kit will include the standoffs,2 4-40 x 5/16 set screws and 2 4-40 x 1/4 flathead screws. I will get them on the website today or tomorrow.
sounds good, i just cut screws to match up with 1, 2, and 3mm shims. but i found that with 2 or 3 mm there is a tendency for the pivot hinge to get clocked when tightening the screws, producing more caster on the right side compared to left. this new arrangement sounds better in that the spacer is threaded tight to the pivot ball, or am i the only one with caster mismatch?

to avoid the usual questions, i swapped upper arms and lower arms to identify the source of the caster variation, and i ended up tracing to the upper hinge fitting getting clocked when tightening it down.