R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Marcos.J
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Gear diffs Rd2: Carpet
I posted my mixed results on asphalt with the gear diffs: http://www.rctech.net/forum/7812424-post5295.html

Yesterday was the frist day I got to run on carpet, track is Horsham RC in PA, grip was pretty good from the first time I hit the track and gradually got better as the night went on. I had gotten my car to hotlap pretty good with the spool/ball diff 12.0, the only other car faster was a friend newly turned RED who could run 11.8, and alot more 12.0's than me

After racing I decided to try the gear diffs again, I put in my rear with 5k and the shims removed on the spider shaft gears, this diff is finally feeling smooth and the front diff with some thick ball diff grease as I forgot to get 120k oil still. Firt lap the car barrel rolled off the sweeper, I had to take out 10% dual rate to keep the car on its wheels, it rotated very well, but has a mid-out push, I tried a few things like sway bars connected vs not, harder rear spring, standing up the rear shocks, all produced different feels, but lap times were the same. I was running 12.2s at this point, but that was all I had run in the main, I think the tires were beat. I am going to continue experimenting with them, I think higher roll centers will help it not load up the outside tires as much, or it might make it worse, I haven't run them on this car yet. It was easier to take a tighter line with the gear diffs for sure, but you had to roll back into the throttle to keep it from pushing out on exit.

This was all 17.5 no timing/boost class.
I think I posted a carpet set up with dual gear diffs a few pages back try it out it worked very well at my local track.