R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Looking into WGT, need some advice
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
Now I know it sounds trivial, but with the BMI it looks like I am limited to only using the LeMans style pan car bodies, where the CRC I could use any TC body. Is that right? And how is parts support with BMI? This would be the first time I've heard of the company.

Also what makes the BMI better? Is it just preference or is there actually something to it?
first, the WGT class does not use TC bodies, the car width/track is more like an oval pan car than a TC, and the popular bodies are DB9, sophia and corvette. (there may be others) i have a BMI and have used the corvette and sophia bodies. the corvette looks cooler, and the sophia is faster. i understand the DB9 is faster still.

regarding what/which is better: this is obviously personal choice, but i have a BMI DB10 and have no desire to switch. the components are all best quality. IRS's top quality diff, axles and turnbuckles, etc. and the BMI parts are clearly a better grade material than CRC.

now having said that, last year i was frustrated with my 1/12 race results and bought the latest and greatest GenXL, just putting it together you could tell the bulkheads are a softer grade of aluminum, the fasteners were generic grade stainless or aluminum and i stripped more than one just trying to thread into plastic. now having said all that, there are many successfull racers with CRC brand cars. Out of the box, i was as fast with the GenXl as with the BMI, but then i never got any faster with it either. now i am racing the BMI and the XL is a backup.

The bottom line is what your own priorities are. the BMI's initial cost is a little higher, but if you are prone to adding 'hopups' or other performance or durability enhancements, then the BMI may have an equal or even lower cost of ownership.

hope this helps.

PS, almost forgot to mention what i started to say is that i find the WGT class car to be easier to setup and drive than 1/12 scale. TC might not be harder to drive, but more costly. for me i find the pancars to have a superior Fun/$ ratio than other classes, and less maintainance hours per race.