R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Solaris Tires
Thread: Solaris Tires
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Warren Weaver
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
I am sure that Warren was referring to the "No Trophy Race" at Jackson R/C held 8/14. I recalled seeing him leave early out of frustration.

In Warren's case, I don't think the problem was with the Solaris Hard tires, it was just his experience with setting up his TC5 for the changing track conditions and the tire nuances. Warren last raced on these tires at the Memorial Day race with success. The rest of you guys (Larry, Hanulec, Karl) and including Randy had over 2-1/2 months of weekly practice running these tires at the weekly club races. We all learned how to set up the cars using these spec tires at Jackson. Several visiting racers who rarely run at Jackson on the Solaris tires also had difficulty trying to find grip.

Again it is not the tire since everyone had to use the same. Having the Solaris tires also used as a spec tire for weekly club races put guys like Warren at a very deep disadvantage. Which is ironic, a spec tire was sold as putting everyone on the same playing field.

This is a case where using the same spec tire for club racing reduces the fairness at the trophy races. Spec tires at IIC or Snowbirds is not the same because those are site-purpose built tracks where nobody has an advantage.
I do see what you are saying but as for set ups i have no problems with figuring changes i have been doing this for a long time and understand a lot about suspension geometry.
thanks
warren