R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on 1/8th direct drive?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
kufman
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
I've seen too many plastic spurs throw a tooth to ever both with them, too often in key races (mains). If you have good luck and don't ever have issues stay with it.. I'll agree with you that if you can run a plastic spur, you won't wear pinions.. But you'll never catch me running anything but the steel ones, hence the wear issue.

PS there is no way racing weekly you've run just two spurs.. in 3 years.. unless you ran just a handfull of races per season or if you repalce your parts yearly in the off season.
Actually, I run my stuff more than every weekend because I drive them in the street after work. Plastic works very well and last a long time if you use them correctly. First off, you can't use the Tekno motor mount with plastic spurs. I have been running the RC-Monster mount with a Losi diff fitted into my RC8 for the last two years. I also ran my 8ight with the Losi mount all of this summer and the spur still looks great. I did make a mistake, it has been two years on the same spur not 3. If there are no other failures (diff bearing, motor mount, pinion set screw) there is no reason that plastic spurs can't last a long time.