R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HoBao Hyper 9E thread
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
MindThoughts
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Center Drive Shaft To Possibly become A Universal Center Drive Shaft(front part).

Originally Posted by itbvolks
What's the general concensus on the requirement to run some sort of driveline protection with these 1/8 setups? I'm not hearing rotor seperation failures and I don't think I'm seeing too many guys running dedicated slippers or clutched setups?

Reason I ask is I have one from another setup that I was planning to swap over but wondering if its worth it? My issue with it is its heavy, complicated, point source of failure, as compared to the STD center diff.

Curious what you guys are seeing?
The Drivetrain In The Hyper 9E is solid and extreemly efficient. Tim Bump explained to me the last time I saw him at West Coast RC Raceway in La Mirada CA, There will soon be a center drive shaft which comes with the front part of the drive shaft as a Universal, rather than the classic dog bone style/drive pin. I've been using the Hudy "Drive Pin Replacement Tool", to replace all worn drive pins in the Hyper 9E drive train- thus far. I do not know if there is a way to replace parts or rebuild a Universal drive shaft. If anyone knows, please share your insight and experience with us here. I do 100% prefer the Universal over the CVD. Primarily because of the way the cvd works and is held together by an extreemly small set screw. I'm very grateful Ofna opt for the simplicity of the dog bone type and now Universal type drive shaft.

I see no reason to run a(type of) clutch system on the motor nor center diff-unless you prefer the feel of the clutch system. Which clutch(or slipper) system do you have, where did you buy it?

Last edited by MindThoughts; 10-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.