R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2011
Thread: Xray T3 2011
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
fullout
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slideaway
To be honest, I just can't believe that Xray kept the servo in this position...
It seems that the space for electronic is even smaller than before !

I'm convinced (and have some proof) that with a 90° oriented servo (like Tam 416, Yok BD5, HB TCX), the natural airflow between speedo and motor is majorly improved. I mesured 5 up to 10°C less on the motor with this architecture on my modified T2008 with TCX steering post (see Xray T3 page 188).

I just don't understand why Xray doesn't follow this winning trend...

I don't think xray considered airflow when designing the servo layout. I think they were probably more concerned with balance and chassis width. The servo sitting at 90deg forces you to have a wide chassis or some sort of brace sticking out to attach the servo to, plus the servo only has so much room before it hits the belt hence tamiya's fancy L shaped servo mount. Having the servo in the orientation that Xray has for the last few models seems to work well and considering the trend towards a more narrow chassis it makes even more sense on this new kit. The next step as far as i can see will hopefully be lo profile motors, so we don't have to have this hunk of metal hanging so far off the chassis.

my 2cents