R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Bumps and Jumps 2010 - 2011 season
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM
SonnyD
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chris mckinney
Mike we have already seen that the stock and 17.5 are basically the same speed so now you have two class that are the same speed - novice and stock. It is hard to allow a novice class if only 2 show up.
I honestly don't see many people running mod, especially since the majority of racers already own a 17.5. Couple this with the fact that you can compete in the 17.5 class with a stock slash and I think you have the perfect scenario.

Sonny let me ask you this - would you have come back to racing under these rules?
I doubt it. It's great to know you can buy a RTR off the wall and be competitive.
(Mike with your format you don't have that, by allowing the cross breeding of manufacturers the off the shelf kit doesn't compete without upgrades)

PS. It is always better to have more people in fewer classes, rather than more classes with fewer people.
Chris,

i honostly wasn't going to come back, but my 10 yr old son said he wanted an r/c car. i would've came back to your rules if you were my home track, i didn't know you had those rules untill about two months ago.

my wife wanted me to go to toys r us and get him something. well that was never going to happen! visited pitstop after 10 year hiatus and was like, what are those things?! short course trucks and spec class?! i was like, gross, but after some research i loved the idea of being able to spend $200, buy a couple of batteries and a charger and away i go. i was really shocked at how competitive this class is, and how "cheap" it can be.

if i'm going to be truthful...i do not agree with bumps' last season's rules on not allowing the cross breeding of rtr trucks, but that's just me. i have the hpi blitz and i couldn't stand that i couldn't lock out reverse, and it comes apart easily, the case would split. i guess i'm alittle old school and hate seeing reverse being used, especially when a non-novice racer uses reverse. so i fould a used traxxas esc, and love it, it also is a relatively cheap upgrade when found used. there are a ton out there also! the hpi motor also is a weak point in my opinion. i only got about 8 races out of it, again i went ahead and got the traxxas motor. i dont see a reason not to be allowed to upgrade for the longevity of the esc and motor. with the whole electronics debate... no one esc/motor combo in my opinion has a distinct advantage. i believe bob moore and brian reagle proved that! i watched both of these guys with stock trucks, with stock electronics, lay down a butt whooping on all of us! nothing's changed there, you still have to wheel these things around.

fortunately for me the hpi tires work great at my home track, pit stop hobbies, but i dont mind if people switch tires between the rtr trucks. we're all racers here and know tires can make all the difference in a good/fun race day to a horrible nightmare if you cant hook up. honostly if you allow the swapping of tires, it will be a matter of a couple races where one or two tires will dominate in this class. and there really are only a 3-4 rtr trucks, not that many choices in tires, so the expense of tires isn't that bad. and if you know these young kids still want to feel like a racer and change tires and feel like they're tinkering. buying a few tires cant hurt, more sales for you.

i do run the roar 17.5 class, it's just different. speed isn't really faster, the class is just different. this class is getting bigger at pit stop, and less novice racers which makes it alittle nicer.

OKAY! enough of that rambling, that was my opinion. chris asked and i gave it to you. i like the idea spec/novice class, i would like to get my boy racing and not have to worry about some adult screaming at my kid for bumping/hacking/rubbing. and an open class, whatever this may be, crossbreeding, allowing tires, 17.5, modified...although i will probably run my 17.5 with modified since i dont want to buy another motor. like i said before your playpen your rules... if i can make it out and you enforce the out of the box rules(no crossbreeding), then hpi electronics go back in, simple as that. it is what it is!

there, no you made me part of the drama!

sonnyd