R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why faster lap times driving my SC10 17.5 than my SC10 3300kv???
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
8ight-e
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
Once you're moving there really isn't any difference if you have both systems set up correctly. The only real reason I will never use sensorless for off road racing is for mid-air corrections. If you watch any of the fast guys who drive aggressively, it is common to hit the brakes immediately after coming off a jump to bring the nose down, then punch it to get the nose back up just before landing. This allows you to land squarely on power. Fractions of a second mean the difference between a perfect landing and an epic wipe-out and the small inconsistency in the start time for sensorless doesn't make the cut.
Thats crazy.. lol you do understand a sensorless motor won't cog in the slightest or have hesitation in the air right.. sensors only prevent cogging at take off, in fact most people run their rx8's in dual mod (sensorless above the slowest RPMS) being sensorless doesn't make the motor hesitate and you don't cog when there isn't any resistance (in the air).. LOL. I beat sensored setups every time I race, even some pro's on a good day. A sensorless vs sensored setup in 1/8 means nothing.. I've used both from a dead stop (on the ground) it is a touch smoother taking off in a direct drive setup ONLY, but if you run a tekno e-clutch or traktion drive you can't feel the difference at all in fact guys w/ sensored system drop their jaw when they go from their tekin and use my mmm tekno setup...

PS even with a clutch on my buggy me and every other nitro guy in the world who races 1/8 buggies manages to be aggressive and control the pitch of our buggies off jumps.

PSPS sorry as neither his comments or mine have anything to do w/ 1/10 2wd vehicles while jumping and I will agree sensored motors are a must for racing 2wd 1/10 iMO as they would get way too squirrley off the line or when getting on the throttle off a tight turn where you had to slow right up. Over jumps or higher RPM's you can't tell the difference even w/ 2wd 1/10s

Last edited by 8ight-e; 09-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.