R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What would you like in the NEW Xray car?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
TeamB&B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
There is a topic started in the Xray home page forums about what they would like to see. Just wondered what people here would like changed. There's so much competition in the TC market right now. This is the place to talk about it.

I would like to see the following;
1.Teflon coated shock bodies.
2.camber links on the bulkheads
3.Go to the current trent of hingepin blocks
4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
7.no chassis braces on the Europ edition. Flex determined by the thickness, size, shape of the upper deck.
8.ball cups with molded holes in the top of the them
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
Originally Posted by RCknight
1. Xray quality fit/finish made me a customer.
2. I have also have a lot of Xray parts so I want to stay Xray, but the 417 is looking good. lol I've never tried a Tamiya,
3. but I love Xray diffs/cvds.
You have several other posts wishing the XRAY T3 to be more like the Tamiya. Your idea number 3 is a bad idea and will never happen:
3.Go to the current trend of hingepin blocks
Most of your other 10 ideas are mostly cosmetic and translate little to increasing existing performance vs cost. If so, XRAY would have done it already.

The current method that XRAY mounts their arms to set toe and track is far better than Tamiya's use of individual blocks. The block method is more expensive because a pro racer will end up with at least 20 blocks per car. Plus the blocks are easy to bend and unable to fine adjust.

When a car toe is off by 1/2 degree L-R, changing blocks or replacing the chassis is the only solution. At a race after a crash, there is no time for this. With an XRAY, easy to find shims is all that is needed to fine tune and adjust suspension settings.

We had both the Tamiya 416 and XRAY 008 at the same time. Both cars perform near identical back to back. The XRAY 008 cost less to operate and was easier and faster to set up. Plus the XRAY was 100% more durable and maintained its tweak longer. XRAY tested the double bellcrank and gave it to several team drivers. They preferred the existing system for feel.

We got rid of the Tamiya and stop racing TCS because parts support from TamiyaUSA was not only terrible but non existent. All of our local hobby shops have XRAY parts in stock for a racer to get through the day.

The XRAY T3 is a great car. XRAY was one of a few cars that required no new model to perform well at the recent Worlds event. A 100% LiPo chassis without the legacy NiMh cell holes is probably the only change for 2010.

It would be easier on all us XRAY users if you tried out the Tamiya. Tamiya would only have to change 3 things vs XRAY changing 11 according to your wish list.

There is a lot of other chassis threads that all refer to XRAY for design, parts, quality, cost, etc. Almost in every page is some reference to a work around where they had to use an XRAY part or part from a Hong Kong 3rd part supplier. It is difficult to find a post in any of the XRAY threads where a XRAY racer needed to use a Tamiya part.

An XRAY T3 is probably the only car kit out there that you can take straight from the box, build it and go straight to a National race without buying hop-ups, retrofitting, filing, sanding, dremeling, or adding 3rd party parts.

Last edited by TeamB&B; 09-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.