R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 07:09 AM
teammpp
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BaxterC
I think I agree with you, but I am not sure what you mean, did you mean that it is the mod that seems to be causing it?

Mark and Dee, what is your input in the matter, could it be an incorrectly modded clutch although I dont thing it would be the mod, maybe the spacer difference, like instead of the 0.7mm, having a 0.4mm gap? tell me, with the 0.7mm gap the clutch tends to slip and engage VERY late, how about turning the clutch nut out, will this not correct this problem?
Adjusting the nut out doesnt cure the problem. All that you are doing is reducing the tension on the spring so the clutch engages earlier in the powerband. But you will still get the same amount of slip regardless.

However, with the 0.7mm gap the bell has a lot of play and like you say the clutch does tend to slip a lot. What this does is toast the clutch shoe and the weights (Makes them harder and smoother on the outer surface). We noticed once this happens that the clutch is effectively not performing to the optimum as it doesnt grip the same. With a standard clutch we would just roughen the bell housing with emery paper but with a Centax this seems to just make the matter worse.

Reducing the gap to 0.3-0.4mm reduces the amount of slip and lengthens the lifespan of both the weights and clutch shoe but also stops the amount of wobble that can occur in the bell housing so the thrust bearing is not getting the same abuse.