Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 AM
blis
Tech Elite

Default 502x

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Sonsa:

Some things i noticed, your rear ride height seems to high compared to the front. I would usually only run a 1/2mm difference between the two.

Also, I would drop the the rear camber link to the bottom hole on the inside to encourage some more camber change on the rear tyres.

I have always found the rear of the G4 to be loose, some of this seems to be caused by the amount of steering the car has, I think Blis found this and he had to reduce the EPA adjustments for the steering servos and reduce the steering on the car. The WCE upgrade might be worth a look with the adjustable rear roll centre!!!

Good to see someone still giving the G4S a good crack!

Hey Bundy, was good to finally catch up.

If I say so myself, I had the G4+ running better than Ive had before. We were up against modified engines... Anyway.. things I have done lately that seemed to have made a difference

Firstly I stole the LX shocks off the EVO and setup with same springs all round. We use Turquoise and didnt get tempted to go harder as the track has a few bumps. Key was to balance up the suspension and have enough droop. Running the softer springs raised our ride height to 5mm front 6mm rear, car looked good and didnt seem to be bottoming out (without downstop)
The shocks seemed to make a difference in the way the car sat... the G4+ tend to lock up and need a lot of attention.

We narrowed the front end slightly and it seemed to help with the rear. Will be looking into this more in future. I needed to reduce the track width and after cracking a couple of arms, I cut down all my arm ball joints so to allow for a narrower track width. I find the magic tricky to narrow into a regulation box. Ultimately I switched across to Capricorn tyres as the Matrix we have had +2 offset KFactory 40s would have worked, but we didnt have enough to run. Capricorm tyres worked well.

Ive also shortened rear wheel base, switched to WC front end and ran the lightened 4mm plate. NOTE: The countersunk washers bit the track, werent recessed enough for the EVO plate. So much for using the new rear end, we also stole the fresh diff too. EVO ball joints are much looser than the G4+, so steering assembly stolen too.

The sweet spot mm diameter is 60f 62r everything comes good in terms of suspension. The up and downstop range is optimal and I have a gut feeling to keep springs same until proven otherwise helps diagnose other problems. Id go as far to say that 37 tyres arent a cheap way to tune.