R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Belt or shaft & gear diff or Ball diff
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
M3Armand
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
You miss the main reason why there are no competitive shaft cars - torque steer.
You know, the thing that bothers me about this supposed torque steer is that before there were shaft driven cars, they were all belt driven.

So wouldn't one think that after "all the testing and racing that all these pros would do before releasing a car" that they would notice this "torque steer" off the bat and stick to belt driven cars? I.e. - not even bother releasing the shaft driven cars???

And also, BEFORE there were ever ball diff cars, every single one of them was "gear diff". My Tamiya Grasshopper had a gear diff. I wouldn't have thought of "paying extra" for them now.

The reason ball diffs came around was that gear diffs would spin the inside tires in a turn = the same way in a real car. This is why they outfit sports cars with a "limited slip differential". The ball diffs act the same exact way. So I really don't understand why people are going back to gear diffs AND "spools" at the front of the car...