R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trukz Calgary - 1/10 Scale Off road Racing
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM
hprt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chongo
your correct Aaron but a 17.5T brushless is equivalent of a 27T 540 brushed motor not a 550 12T brushed.
That's why I too am asking the question.

550 brushed bigger, longer comm, more torque
540 brushed smaller, smaller comm, more rpm
now throw in brushless motors and I'm confused.

Paging Mr. West.......LOL
There is already a big difference in available motor power for the CORR Truck class. Nobody runs 540 silver cans, and the 15t HPI and 17t Reedy 540 class motors have an advantage in power output and speed over the Traxxas 12t. For example, the Reedy is a 30,000 rpm motor on a 7 cell pack. It may down slightly on torque, but when you gear it to have the same speed, the torque to the drivetrain increases significantly. The 17.5 brushless will have about the same power output as the Reedy, but will be way down on speed. Geared correctly, they should be close.

I totally agree with adding a no-maintenance brushless option to this class and a 17.5 is the most reasonable motor to pick. Most tracks in the States running CORR truck classes include 27t brushed, 17.5 BL, and any of the RTR brushed motor options in their Stock Class. As the Trukz exec listens to and takes advice from the racers, if there are clear performance advantages running the 17.5, then we will make changes later.