R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/16th Scale Tamiya R/C Tanks
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM
r32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Some FAQs

Howmuchissit?

Prices start at around $800 for a full-option M4 Sherman kit and peak at $1500 or so for a Leopard 2A6.

What do I get?

You get a big box with a bunch of parts, which given a couple of weeks of gluing, screwing and painting, comes together as a 1/16th scale model tank with engine sounds, movement, and lights (varies by model).

What else do I need?

You need a standard 7.2v battery pack (7.4v LiPos will work too), at least a four channel radio, and if you intend to participate in infra-red games, a Tamiya Battle Unit costing ~$80

What tanks are there?

In order of release, Tiger I, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, King Tiger (Production Turret), Leopard 2A6, Panther G, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, KV-1 and KV-2. The only modern tank in this series is the Leopard 2A6, the rest are World War II tanks.

How does IR gaming work?

Each tank carries an infra-red emitter and an infra-red receiver. The game proceeds by tanks attempting to shoot infra-red beams at each other without getting shot in return. Generally the team with tanks remaining, or the last tank standing wins. From certain angles, a tank is more vulnerable to enemy shots. Tanks can be set to light/medium/heavy weight class. Reload time is inversely proportional to the weight class.

Can these tanks be hopped up?

Yes, you can get ball bearings, metal tracks, photo-etched components, additional barang-barang such as boxes, helmets, ammo boxes to hang outside the tanks. They look just as good displayed on a shelf as they are in the field.

Where can I buy these tanks?

You can find them at the local Tamiya dealer Stargek, at well-supplied hobby shops like Elite Model, via eBay, or hand-carried back from Hong Kong where the prices seem the cheapest.

Where and when can I battle?

I will post upcoming game dates and venues on this thread if it stays alive. We're active on the DaddyHobby forums as well. We usually get about four tanks and are looking to expand. Several of us have both tanks and 1/14th scale RC Trucks.

Our next game should be mid-late September, and we usually play either at East Coast Park near the Skatepark, or at Dhoby Ghaut MRT open space.