R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
MikeXray
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
@L. Fairtrace

Trying to find that elusive 0.4s the very quick guys have, its clear that I needed a fresh approach both to set up and driving style

Was pondering the comments you made about thinking in terms of roll.

Thinking about roll, perhaps the car was rolling too much, too early in the corner, and pushing. So I fitted a thick bar to the front aiming to keep the car at optimum roll..and the high speed steering appeared, like magic. But it took away a lot of low speed steering. Maybe not enough roll due to slow/medium speed. I was able to compensate with ackermann, using the near hole in the steering block, insert 9 and 100% throw. With these changes the steering actually felt miles better than previously, really crisp but not twitchy. Most important it had similar response at high and low speed.

Much more actual steering than normally use but the bar seems to couteract it nicely it at low speed and assists at high speed

Stood up the rear shocks for stability into the sweeper and I can just chuck this thing in now without hardly lifting, carrying the speed, it holds its line and doesn't load up and snap into the tight infield. Wow

Tried a thick bar in the back to stabilise the exits, it was terrible, the car pushed for a couple of feet then oversteered. Guess the bar was holding the car flat then it was breaking away as soon as any real power was applied. I was amazed I could really feel the difference between a 1.2 and 1.4

So I just took the thing off altogether..and it steered totally consistent all the way out of the corner, just could not believe it, pure confidence

Think I'm on the right track now

Cheers Dude

I have also found that I am running a front bar almost all of the time, I think its mostly do to me not being as smooth as I could be and the bar helps the car not dump on that corner. The rear bar on the other hand I have had times where it made the car steer more and times when it makes the car push, rather strange, but I tend to try it on and off at least once a race day.