R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - EXTREME RC MODIFICATION - Findings and Discussions
Old 03-26-2004, 01:09 AM
BaxterC
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by icon
orange & baxter:

you two are on separate pages. the so called "turbine" in your hyper 8 port is not a turbine. it is used to move air and fuel mixture but to what advantage and what end i do not know. the "turbo scoop" on the counterweights of most competitive 2 stroke engines helps with the induction process.

i hope this doesnt lead you guys to actually believe our little two strokes are turbo charged .

i have seen in my RC world magazine someone supercharging the OS .26 4 stroke engine. if you must supercharge something, i guess that would work, but i agree with the majority here that the 2 strokes we use in our cars cannot be supercharged or turbocharged.

oh, and the comments about the rotary engine. the true benefit of the rotary engine is its lightweight and compact design. also since the engine goes through a continous motion during its combustion cycle, the parasitic loss is a lot less than conventional combustion engines where the piston has to stop at the bottom and top to make a cycle. mileage on these engine from what i know are horrible, but the fact remains that it does make quite a lot of power from such a small package.

the governing body banned the rotary engine after the Mazda 787B won the le mans in 91. if memory serves, the governing body also penalized the car initially saying the displacement is the entire volume chamber, not just the stroke volume. i believe they made mazda add on extra weight to the car prior to the race.

P.S. orange: there are a lot of knowledgeable people that visit these threads. everyone can voice their opinions obviously but your posts are too aggressive (rude?). perhaps tone it down a bit.
Icon, Thank you. I thank you for the clarification, it is what I was trying to say. Do you know what this 'turbine' looks like, I thought it was the turbo scoop I was discribing. Is there a difference. I know the hyper engines rather well, I am a bit runty in the 'new developments' department