R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Scimitar Pro 10
It has been a long time since there was a USA purpose built wide pan car whose chassis was optimized for wide pan use. Here is one. The prototype carbon parts beautifully machined from Doug Powell at

[email protected]
http://powellracingcomponents.com/.

The chassis has been changed from CRC's Gen X 10 to better suit it for high speed use outdoors with powerful motors.
  • Elliptical lightening holes are used to preserve strength and stiffness while eliminating stress risers that cause cracks. This created a huge cutting file, but Doug solved all related problems.
  • Wide section and minimal lightening at the front to eliminate compression fractures across the frame which have destroyed a couple of my chassis.
  • Slightly narrower waist to maintain good chassis flex.
  • No notches at the front to eliminate stress risers (internal sharp corners) which form the origin of compression fractures across the frame. Note this is not needed for WGT use but on a high speed outdoor track it will make the chassis last and last.
  • Nerf wings will protect the axle in high speed crashes. They can be tilted up with shims for roll clearance. I like to mount electronics there for a good rear weight bias with an in line pack and a powerful motor.
  • Heavy duty rear pod will have a Panhard bar with much stronger attachments and rod ends.
More on the car later after I build up this machine cut prototype. Click one more time for a larger view.
Looks great John! NICE work Doug! I'm guessing this is a pure 235 mm chassis? With the speeds this car will achieve, I might want extra weight up front just for durability. Can't wait to see the final product.