Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A CRC Pro Strut Front end which is popular weighs 56 grams with all the mounting hardware. My 1-12 front end in the picture weighs 11 grams more at 67 g. It has had some effort put into lightening it over the 1/10 scale front suspension that I sell. The pivot pieces are scalloped. The A-arm extension have a 1/4 inch lightening holes and are scalloped at the back. And of course some pieces are smaller. I shaved 16 g off the 1/10 suspension. At the moment the suspension is 1 inch tall. About the same as an associated suspension with 0 degree reactive Caster Blocks installed.

Note that this is only a proof of concept car. I do plan to test and tune it. I have no plans at the moment to sell it. Things that needed to be proved were whether shocks and a four link could be fit to the back. Yes. Could a front dual A-arm suspension be made with ideal placement of the oil dampened shock. At this point I think yes. Other design criteria were long lower arm. yes, Unequal length arms track tuned for camber gain. Yes. Wide (vertical) mounting positions for the outer A-arm pivots for good camber control at the wheel. Yes.

I do not have the body yet. I don't know what they weigh. After I get one I will report total weight of the built up car. It is going to be close to spec.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual A-arm Front End 001.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	634636  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-27-2010 at 06:19 PM.