R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 05:21 AM
BaxterC
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KevinS
Standard dogbones are universal joints. A pin connects both wheelaxle and driveshaft. When there is an angle between the driveshaft and wheelaxle, the output speed is not the same as the input speed, but forms a sinus function with the input speed as the average. I think the 3racing joint is a universal joint, the only difference being that the dogbone is fixed inside the wheelaxle, so you don't lose your dogbone so easily.

A CVD (Constant Velocity Driveshaft) is constructed in a different manner to eliminate the difference in output speed. A good example is the homokinetic coupling thats used for driveshafts of most modern cars.

BUT, two universal joints at the same angle eliminate the sinus effect. The first one induces a sinus to the dogbone, the second one creates a sinus with a difference of half a phase, evening it out for the wheelaxle. If you replace one universal joint by a CVD, the sinus effect of the first universal will not be evened out.

So in other words; If it's a CVD I don't want it!
(If it's a universal and 3racings usual quality I don't want it either)
I know what you mean although you lost me when you started talking about an allergy (sinus). I must just say that a dogbone has a lot more friction because the pins 'rub' in the cups but with a 'universal' has les as it runs on an axis with an axel and another axis with an axel at 90 degrees. if you understand what I am saying. A FWD car has CV Joints or I would imagine CVDs, if they work for big cars, why not for little cars... Dont get me wrong... if it isn't made by serpent, it isn't made for me. If serpent releases CVDs, I will look at them, but till then, I will not.