R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lighter car vs heavier car?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 AM
mcsuperfreak
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
I dont see how a heavier car will be more faster and/or more traction than the lighter cat. I'm sure engine need to work a little harded to move the weight. Something is wrong with the lighter car set up.
+ 1

if a heavier car is faster for someone, maybe it's just because they can drive them to the limit more. then passing to a lighter one they cannot drive it too hard because the limit is further and car seems too fats.
The question about concistency is a personal factor IMO (as well as setup ability), does not determine an heavier car to be faster or easier.
Let's face it, it's just a matter of potential of performance (favourable to lighter cars, physics says it), and driving talent to use every bit of that potential.
Have you ever seen a top driver say << i feel the car too light, let's add some ballast in strategic points to better it up>> ???
In real car motorsports every car is built to stay way under the weight limit and then they add weight where is needed.
In RC racing I've always seen upgrades towards lighter cars and parts (accordingly to stress resistance), so i think that is the right direction to reach performances.

Just my though

Fabio