R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Dread Pirate
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
To do it properly would require a jig and a mill to make sure you don't affect caster and/or camber as you remove material. This is NOT a job most racers have the appropriate equipment for.

Note that IRS may have discontinued the modified AE arms they were doing, but have done so because they have released their own arm they themselves designed and are molding. Instead of the marginal gain seen by modifying the AE arms (they only "lower" it 1/16") the new IRS lower arms go WAY lower. You can run the front tires right down to the rims if that's what you want to do.

These new arms are EXCELLENT pieces, but I STRONGLY recommend purchasing a 8-32 RH tap (about $5-6) and properly cutting threads into these rather than mashing screws through them to make threads. The design is very good but creates a stress riser where the upper arm mount is let into the lower arm. I've seen these arms crack along these risers when threaded with a screw...I've never seen one crack that has been properly tapped.

Scottrik
Had to search way back to 2008 for this one!
Dusting off the 12L3 and having trouble getting the front up to 3mm.
Are the IRS arms being discussed here part #4221 ? The IRS site and sites selling them don't mention that these are lower to the chassis.

Thanks.