R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ESC Timing Advance. Overcomplicated?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
wolf16731
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
We don't need a programming card/widgit. With 208 you can save your own custom profiles right into the unit. You want to switch between them? Oh simply press the mode button a few times, than the Inc button a few times, done!

If you don't like the bells and whisltes of the new "stock" classes run mod! I do and I still like stock. Everyone knows I'll be the first one to give you my esc setup. You still have to beat me with it...
I forgot that the 208 does that. I just like the interface on the comuter too much to not use the computer though. Much better than 203. Just curious, Randy, the "4 step guidline" that I posted on Page 2 of this thread.. is that somewhat accurate? I'm just curious, because I want to know if that is a good way to get a baseline setup going for the RS/RX8..

EDIT: I'll just re iterate it into this post. Let me know if I am close

Step 1: Leave the default settings on the RS alone. In this step, only worry about the MOTOR timing. Get it to where you have the launch that you want. Basically meaning the hardest it can pull without actually losing traction and upsetting the chassis.

Step 2: Once you have that figured out, now bust into the RS. Start with a very small adjustment in the Timing Boost. Get it set to where you have the acceleration needed without losing traction and to where you aren't over heating the motor because of too much timing. For starting out, I would suggest a range of 5,000rpm-20,000rpm. Tweak if you deem necessary.

Step 3: Now that that is all done, we need to figure out if there is enough room on the track to get to top speed. If you top out BEFORE you get 2/3 of the way down the longest straight, then we can play with Turbo. If you are not topping out at the end of this straight section by the 2/3 mark, then you are done.

Step 4: Play with the Turbo settings for a bit, see if you can get it to top speed by the end of that 2/3 mark. When you are at an acceptable point, try to put down the fastest lap time you can get. Then remove only the Turbo from your programming, and see what you can get for best lap times. Then choose the setting that allows for you to get the fastest lap times overall. Remember, consistency is key on that. If you are putting down faster lap times with the turbo but it is hard to control, you may need to turn down the turbo or just take it completely off.

I may get be missing something somewhere, but that is my thinking.