R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Orion Batts? Numbers suspect?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Smalls
The pack was still sealed instantly found its way to a CE TurboMatcher.

The run time was off by about 25 seconds. But the voltage, well I don't want to publicly bash a company but they were not close. If you would like the numbers they cycled to please PM me.

I like Team Orions products; I just think something is up with there matching system.

From the shop I purchased them from they had 5 packs of cells (four cell packs) 2 were 1.190 with 452 run time and 3 packs were 1.86 with 420 run time. Now every single cell read the same numbers. so out of 20 batteries matched from Orion in the case there were 12 reading identical numbers and 8 reading another number. I bought these to run at a regional race, while I was at the race I noticed another racer had a pack of 1.190's with 452 run time also. Why does this feel to much like a coincidence?
Smalls....Im not sticking up for Orion....I think the products they sell and the market share they have speaks for them... but you cant go and take cells that are matched on a LavCo matching system at 27amps then go run them through your Turbo matcher in your basement and expect to see the same numbers. Like others have said Orion goes through so many cells it would make most of our heads spin. And for them to get cells that are so close to one another in a pack just goes to show how close they match everything. The last Orion packs that I had were 2000's but they were some of the best ones that I ever had. I doubt that they are just making numbers up. And unless you are in the exact same room with the exact same machine that matches the cells you using them on your own matcher is not going to provide you with anything other then a reference. Also Turbo matchers can easily go in and out of working spec if you look at them wrong so who's to say that your matcher is at 100%. Im not trying to slam you in any way Im just saying that you cant compare the way Orion matches its cells to you throwing them on a matcher in your basement.....its not even on the same machine type....or who knows about the temp the room is at when they are done. There is a system to matching cells and every company out there goes through great lengths to make sure everything is consistent from cycle to cycle. So I don't think Orion is selling junk they just go through so many more that they can get cells that are grouped so close together.