R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Micros amd Minis/Still popular??
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Evoracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally posted by Beeb
I think the micros are a good, cheap, starting point for people to get into the hobby.
The 1/18's are another great starting point (or move-up point for mini-z's) for those that don't want to invest tons of money but still want to be able to tinker with setups and parts. It can definitely get expensive if you want it too but it doesn't have to. If more companies made 1/18's I think the racing market would grow but ultimately it'd lead to 1/10 investments.
Ultimately I think the mini's and micros are just stepping stones that have been unfilled up untill this point. I don't think they will catch on big in the racing scene, but hopefully I'm wrong.
So how do you guys see the future of available sites for 1/10 as compared to 1/18 ?? I'm in a high growth area and in trying to get a 1/10 race program going, I found most owners unwilling to deal with us. Also, the cost for the type of space needed for 1/10 seems to be getting prohibitive. All over the country, property costs are going up. Does anybody see the 1/18 and smaller movement as a way to adjust our needs to whats available in the real world??? It seems like the smaller scales would really open things up for us. I love 1/10 just the same as anybody else......but it seems like even the manufacturers are starting to understand the trends from around the world. If you think we have it tough.....just ask some of our Euro friends what it's like there.

BTW, is there such a thing as an organised 1/18 scale series?? Something like the Tamiya series or any nationwide program aimed at 1/18??? I can't seem to find anything online.