R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Problems tuning a max xxl3
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
stefan
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroChef tC3
I am tuning my xxl3 and am having problems... Seems like I have to tune it every 30 min.. My buddy just put a picco 7 port in his ride and seems to have no problems keeping a tune.. Is this typical for this motor?? I get it running good and then about three quarters through the tank it will stall.. Then has problems starting... Have to prime the engine alot... Any tips, comments , feedback will be greatly appreciated.... This is my first slide carb and " nice" motor...
Hi there,

are you running at the Sugar Bowl?

Two things come to mind:

Is you glow plug ok? Which plug are you running?

Secondly, I (and many others at the Bowl) always had engine problems when running the NTC3.
Main problem is, that the carburator sits directly behind the engine and gets no cooling air, but all the heat from the cooling head.
The other major problem of this particular car was the exhaust system.
This pipe was not the best 10 years ago with the relatively low powered engines at the time.
I just can't imagine that it would work with the current breed of engines, especially top of the line stuff like the XXL3.

We have done the strangest attempts to run regular pipes on that car, where the pipes came out óf the rear window, but nothing ever worked really good.
I think that was the main reason why the car died away.