R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - No 2011 Roar Electric Paved Nationals? Maybe
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
hanulec
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

syndr0me - i hope to see you running 17.5 super stock and modified at IIC. i'm not running a crazy mod motor -- probably 13.5 or maybe 10.5. i know i might get yarded slightly on the straight.. but it will still be better than going slower than 2009 Amateur 17.5 class w/ tekin 199/200.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I wish modified was easier. I say this as a guy that's put in a LOT of track time this year on an IIC-sized track, and I've spent many hours trying to go faster with a 5.5 than I can with a 17.5. For a guy such as myself, with average talent, it just seems out of reach. I don't know how other racers with less time or access to a track than myself could ever hope to tame it. And most tracks are smaller than ours, where it already feels nearly impossible to control.

I like the idea of simplifying the classes, but I agree with Larry about track time. It's hard to justify the expense of traveling to a big race for 30 minutes of racing. And while I can enter modified (I have), and I know I can run a slower motor (I will), I know it's a throwaway class that I'll ultimately just be using to test changes for my slower classes. Paid extra open practice? I guess.

I really liked watching the racing in 13.5 at IIC in 2009. You had former world champions like Andy Moore mixing it up with top guys that mostly do this as a hobby, and it was awesome. I wish modified could be more like that.