R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - centax clutch problems with kyosho evovla m3 help
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Erock
Tech Elite

Default right or wrong......

This is how I do it with the Kyosho 3D clutch..

Hi Erock, I just want to ask a few Q's regarding clutch set up.

1. You mentioned from your previous PM that you set it to .04, do you mean 0.4mm?

2. How do you actually set the end play? Do you remove the inner clutch bell bearing first and set/shims for the end play?

3. Do you shim the inner bearing so it wont touch the clutch shoe? I usually do this and end result of the end play that I set earlier is usually less and some time no play at all.

4. Do you replace the stock 5x10x4 clutch bearings to a ceramic one? when I had my Evolva 2003 last time, the bearings did not last that long, only for a few meetings only.

4. If you dont mind explaining to me step by step of your method of setting up a clutch.

Thank you very much and FYI I m still waiting for my Orion spring.

1. Yes. .4mm
2. I will combine 2,3,and 4 in the same answer.
3. I use ceramic clutch bell bearings and replace them often. If they get discolored or gritty I replace them.

Now, I will go over how "I" build a clutch. If you ask 10 people you will have 9 of them tell you to set the clutch gap different than how I do it. But all I can say is that it works for me.

Ok, install clutch shoe and spring. Set spring to 1.30mm. Next shim the bell with the inner bearing in it so that it doesn't rub on the clutch shoe. Then I set the clutch gap to .4mm. That's how I do it.

Everyone else will set the end gap first, then shim the inside so the bell wont rub on the shoe, and then whatever the gap is that you end up with is the gap you end up with. You might have .4mm or maybe even less.

I use the digital clutch gauge from brooklyn hobbies to set the clutch spring. I also use the Kyosho gray shoe.

Hope this helps.