R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami
Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 AM
wingracer
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Wingracer,

I did NOT imply that nobody likes the tracks over there. I actually liked Ft. Myers as well, I just hated the fact, that wherever I raced, that each single contact with the barriers either chunked a tire or parts fell off the car (especially NTC3 :-))

I started gas racing in ATL and when I returned to Germany and had my first race on a European style track, I thought I was in heaven.
Chunked tires are really rare and not every mistake costs loads of money.

I think the biggest difference is that tracks over here are all in the hands of clubs with no commercial interests.
I know Stefan and I agree with you. Now you see why us Americans prefer durable cars like Mugens to fragile cars like NTC3's.

My point is that our style of track gives us an advantage over the Europeans at least when running on our style of track (though the Japanese seem to adapt well to them also). As much as I would love to run on a European track, I compete better the more screwed up the track is.

I am also not a big fan of this trend to make 1/8th tracks longer and longer and more and more sweepy. I watched the vids of the euros and it looked like running a 1/12th on 1/5th scale track. Just pull the trigger and see how much motor you have.

So I like short, tight tracks. More challenging to drive, easier on motors and even some of the pros drive scared.