R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MurfDogg Synergy Brushless Motors
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
The MurfDogg
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Smoke - I personally do not understand why people want to know KV ratings of these motors... It is completely dependent on motor timing...as is RPM, Watts, Amp draw etc....

For the sake of comparison, when running with advance timing ESC's, I suggest starting at the 0* timing hash mark. At Zero timing, the 13.5 motors average between 2950 and 3050 KV. At 10* of motor timing, they are 3250-3350 KV. At 15* of motor timing, they are 3500-3600KV. At 20* of motor timing, they are 3700+ KV.

For the sake of marketing, I could set the motors to 30+ degrees of timing, and honestly claim 4300 KV out of my 13.5. It is a true 4300 KV, but it is obtained by using unrealistic timing settings.

Brand to brand, there IS NOT a standard method for testing this, and therefore KV ratings are all really just a number based on many variables.

Honestly, I think KV ratings are useless, unless trying to calculate gearing and projecting speeds for speed run vehicles.

Every individual motor varies slightly from another of "the same" brand and wind motor. For me to call my 13.5 motor a 3300KV as many others do, just simply isnt accurate.

If people really want KV numbers, look at Novaks KV chart for their motors. All ROAR approved motors are built to the same exact specifications with only a few minor details you can change, so all of these motors should be fairly siminlar in KV rating.

I have nothing bad to say about any other motors on the market, but I believe I have a great motor that has been developed to WIN races, as it won many during development. I did most of my testing head to head with TRINITY/EPIC DUO and DUO2 motors, as I believe they were the fastest on the market during the time I was developing my new motors. It took alot of hard work, but I believe we have a motor that is worthy of the MurfDogg name and the will uphold the great reputation we have earned in the past 4 years.

I hope my motors are appealing to all of you, and you try one out!

Sorry for the very long post, but I think it is full of info that racers should know about KV ratings and other things...

Thanks,

Matt