Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
tomdex
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Losi Starter Box Revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiman View Post
In need of suggestions...
I burned up my 8ight starter box motors on a new engine today... Does anyone have suggestions on replacements??
Much appreciated...
Well after some time of having my Losi Starter Box sitting there, useless, I decided to get it fixed up. Here, I'll share with you what I did.

Firstly rip out the old 550 motors and bin them.
Purchase 2 x Losi 775 motors (approx US$22ea), as fitted to the new style starter box. Also purchase 2 x Original Pulley Set(approx US$7)
Drill out the pulleys to 5mm in order to fit on enw 775 motor shafts.
Mount the motors in the old Box, the motor mount holes need to be slightly repositioned due to the 'fatter' 775 motors.
I used an old Losi 8ight Steering Post, with 3 steering gear bearings slid onto it, and mounted in in the correct position to tension the drive belt. The belt will be slack, as you've moved the two motors together to fit them in the box.
The result is a starter box that will turn anything over, and can be run on a 12v gelcell or use a 3 or 4 cell Lipo, no problems. I wired the motors in parallel, just so both get 12v, but it's up to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	startbox001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	622237   Click image for larger version

Name:	startbox002.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	622238   Click image for larger version

Name:	startbox003.jpg
Views:	389