R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What do you think for the $ is it ok?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Dave H
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by z50king
Hey guys I got an email from this cool guy from nigeria that wants to send me a cashiers check for eight thousand dollars. he said I can cash it and only mail him one thousands dollar back in unmarked, unsequential, 100 dollar bills!

Do you think this is a good deal? I saw something about this on tv about a year ago, but the show was sponsored by Ofna, so it must have been talking about how good the deal was. I could probably hire some guys to really cut my grass for me. What do you think for the $ is it ok?
Kudos for being sharp enough to ask about this before following through. I’ve seen too many good hearted people lose a lot of money simply because they were a little naive and unaware of the financial trap they were falling into.

Most people through no real fault of their own haven’t read the fine print in the recently enacted Tax Simplification and We Want More of Your Money Act. Which imposes punitive taxes on many overseas transactions with a profit of $5000 or more. This provision was intended for international drug money launderers but has inadvertently impacted many others.

So what you should do is send your new friend $4000 in cash, thus neatly avoiding the tax. Be sure to use only cash, not anything that’s traceable like a certified check or a credit card payment, because of course that would be subject to tax too.

Good Luck!