R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NTC3 2 speed rebuild.. not shifting correctly
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM
mrcammy187
Tech Rookie

Default NTC3 2 speed rebuild.. not shifting correctly

Hey guys (and gals).. I love my ntc3.. I've had it for 7 years now. It was a single speed originally but over the years i have upgraded to 2 speed and other things. recently i have got back into the hobby with a few friends. My car sat for a bout 4 yrs and after dusting it off, it started with no problem and ran great for several nights until one of the outdrive bearings decided to depart.

So.. I decided on a full rebuild with new parts.. 120.00 later the car is back together and it's initial run went like a dream. there were a few things like forgetting to tighten the carb bolt so the carb decided to depart on the 2nd run.. reconnected & tightened and no problems.. The car ran beautifully. Made me remember the day i bought it the 1st time 7 years ago... I was drag racing my buddies 4-Tec and holding with him until about 3/4 ways down the lot. It ran great... Went home and slept

The next day went out again. I made NO CHANGES to the car at all. I get out there and put the spurs to her... 1st gear went fine... then it shifted into 2nd and the RPMs skyrocketed and it did not grab second. I had to wait for idle to come down to where it would "pop" back into 1st. So this is what i did to try fixing it.

I assumed it was the 2speed clutch. I thought it may be the clutch spinning on the main shaft "in-drive". I tightened both set screws until i could see the clutch just start to separate. (manual instructions). I went back out and ran it up n down, the car started to shift properly but after a few left and right sweepers, the same thing would happen... shifts into 2nd and it doesn't grab the gear. I continued to make minor adjustments and i got it to start grabbing the gear but i can tell there is something not right... I can hear a distinct "clunk" as it drops back into 1st gear.

Has anyone had this issue before? Can you give me some hints to try?
Thanks, Mike