R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 AM
TrevCoult
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JR007
I've only been into racing for 2 years, and fully programmable esc's have been the single biggest mess in the entire industry.
I understand why they came about, it's user demand. However, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that a LOT of people put no practice and testing into their own gear, they jsut want the instant gratification of turbo etc making up for their lack of cornering skill.
It's kind of like the ground-effects issues in F1 in the 80's. The only way the authority could control cars being designed beyond drivers abilities was to ban the technology.
It wouldn't be such an issue if the esc wasn't able to single-handedly transform ANY setup into a ballistic missile.
Now, one solution to this could be to have any programmable esc being open motors and sort by racers times, not the esc they have. I know it's been discussed, but I think it would level out a LOT of TC races.
No real point to my post, just an observation.
I can't see why people are complaining about updateable/programmable speedos so much. They are making the hobby cheaper for you guys no longer having to buy a new speedo every 6 months or so in order to keep up, and it's now possible to select whether you want a no timing stock spec, fixed profiles or full programmability on the same speedo. Between these things it solves all the problems mentioned.

There's always been technological progress and always will be, just this time, with the change to brushless and LiPo it's taking a while to settle down a bit. At least this time it doesn't have to cost us all a fortune, and remember it was Tekin who made the upgradable speedo popular making the other manufacturers follow, making it cheaper for us to get better performance whatever the make.

Trev