R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
M03Racer
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdapart
So I have literally read through this entire thread over the last 2 weeks and I am now a bit more knowledgeable about minis and at the same time a bit brain dead. I do have one question though. Currently I have an old Alfa M-04 kit that is collecting dust. I want to run in the mini class at my local track and while they allow the M-04, the consensus seems to be it is not quite fair since it is not FWD. I'm also in a pinch with the budget and I can't add to my stable at the moment. What is the best way to convert the M-04 to FWD?

My options as I see them now are;

M-04 to M-03 / Looks like all I will need is the 50792 A parts and this will only set me back about 20.00 (PERFECT!) Is that all that would be needed?

M-04 to M-05 / Will need A parts, B parts, D parts, F parts minimum maybe more.. looking at least 60.00 (not so great for the budget as a full M-05 Mito kit is only 100.00 shipped)

M-04 to Xevo / This is a straight swap, but it's pricey (100.00 shipped) and I don't really like the idea of not running a stock Tamiya chassis for some wierd reason.

Any insights?
Its not that simple. I have both M03 and M04 and I would never convert my m04 to M03 front drive car. Why? well for one you can pick up a cheap Mini online for about $50 with a ton of hop ups so its not worth killing your M04. It will cost you about the same to convert it over to an M03 (you will need M03 gears, chassis most anything else will fit from your M04). Just keep checking ebay you will find a cheap Mini sooner or later. I got one of my M03's for about $55 including shipping. You can also ask any of the members if they are willing to sell you a spare rolling chassis. I had one about a month ago but I sold it to a friend for $30. Like I said it would be a shame to kill your M04. Be patient and something will turn up.