R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Orca RC Products
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
mikecan8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hello engine.tech,

Its good you point out the Kv of some other motors. There is no real hard and fast ways to show what is what. In any case, Kv is basically RPM/Voltage use.

I suppose no one bothered to question why other motors were getting 3800Kv when we were only doing 3300Kv. While we are able to achieve the 4000Kv mark, someone starts to question us? Very interesting. At least our motor is lazer engraved to show its turn, while some only use a little sticker to show its a 11.5T, so whats there to prove its a 11.5T motor? BTW, whats the standard for a 11.5T motor anyway? Is there anyone who shows you what it is? I suppose nope. So we are below the 4200Kv as what is posted on Novak's website. To give you a reference point, every turn, based on the Kv difference between 10.5T and 13.5T is about 4200Kv (10.5T) and 3300Kv (13.5T), each turn is about 300Kv, and therefore 11.5T is about 3900Kv. To be exact, we are giving about 3900Kv, spot on. Even this means that the ORCA Q QX-1 is only about 150Kv more than what other brand of motors, which at 7.4V translate to 1110rpm more, which in relative term should be about 4% more than your other motors. Even at 4000Kv, it is only about 6.7% more than the rest. But from what we have seen from the race last Sunday, I believe we are showing more than 1110rpm from the next brand. Therefore there is more than the numbers are showing.

As for our testing equipment? I use a ORCA Brushless Motor Driver! It is, in my opinion the most accurate way of measuring the RPM and Amp draw of a brushless motor. Because you basically connect the device through an old Muchmore Motor Driver and use a 12V power supply to do the testing. Other systems out there uses a battery to test and it will in my opinion give you an inaccurate result as the battery is not a constant voltage power source, hence the RPM would be different from one another. Even if you are to use a full pack of battery on every test you will still get a different result every time. Although it is for reference, I want to be sure that we are able to provide the most powerful equipment that we can produce to our customers.

To me, it is never going to be a even playing field. Its very simple, why does the Epic DUO 2 17.5T motor dominate in the US, while it may have the same Kv as others? Because its not the numbers that do the talking. I have ran my car with the QX-1 with another driver using a Speed Passion motor, and I can tell you that the QX-1 motor does not have more top speed, rather it has more torque to push it to the top speed sooner than the other brands, thereby giving you a sensation that it is much faster.

I can tell you that the QX-1 11.5T motor is geared at 7.4-7.8 and it can run 8min with a final temp of about 65DegC. To me, to provide the amount of speed and be kept at that temp with 1 fan is an achievement. Even the RX-1 cannot achieve this performance. Its not just about the numbers, but rather the drivability and the other features that makes our motors stand out from the rest. It is the same for others who are running a different ESC, not only ORCA ESCs, although it is dfinately better to use ORCA ESC for its motors.

All I am saying is that our motor is for sale and not for team drivers only and it is not selling more than any other motors, there is no need to envy and question why. In the world of RC, the technology is moving forward. ORCA did not complain why Tekins were so fast when we were beaten by them, we merely asked ourself, why are we so slow. So there you have an answer, "Don't ask why is ORCA faster!".

For those genuine users, remember, ORCA is here to give you an advantage over the rest of the field. For those that have just signed in deliberately to flame ORCA for being faster, please refrain from doing that, it will make us look too good. Flame ORCA when they are slow, flame ORCA when they are fast, basically you are just looking for opportunities to flame ORCA.

Happy RCing.