R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - wiping out clutch bearings
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
LabRat99
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Not bashing anyone, just a little confused as to why people are having such a hard time understanding that grease has it's place and that place isn't in the clutch bell!! I always change bearings before a long main(running a losi... They eat clutch bearings). It is just a little OCD habit of mine. Probably not necessary but a practice have gotten accustomed to. So for me, I can't let the grease burn off every time I change bearings as it would sometimes be at the beginning of a main. That is the basis of my though process of cleaning them out. It only takes a minute and eliminates any need to clean the grease out of the clutch.
Since you don't want to let this go and we've already jacked the thread, let me tell you where I think you're wrong. You're taking a pretty viscous lubricant out ( at least you say you are, if you're not removing the seal all you're doing is blowing the excess grease out) and replacing it with a much thinner one. When you start you engine, you are immediately slinging oil out toward the edge of the bell. Being a centifugal clutch it's pretty effective at pushing stuff outwards. That includes your bearing oil. I guarantee you that your bearings are going to end up running dry a LONG time before mine. So, if anybody's clutch is likely to slip when you change bearings, it's yours not mine.

I'm not trying to change your mind, you've got a system that works for you. I just don't want somebody who doesn't know any better to think they need to remove the grease from their clutch bearings or risk having a slipping clutch.