R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Losi JRXS Type-R
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
steve eaves
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
Adding a gear diff to the Type-R wouldn't be that hard at all. It would require a new eccentric to be bigger than the current one but that's about it. The other option is to use small gears, like the 1/12 or 1/16 scale steel gears i've seen in past lives.

I'm guessing the interest in gear diffs is to play w/ oils to slow the diff action without the slip associated w/ balls. I'm wondering what that would feel like on an electric car. I know what it feels like on my nitro car but electric doesn't have the weight nitro does, any one driven an electric w/ fluid filled diff?

All in all the diffs are my biggest pain point right now . I've taken to cleaning and rebuilding them once a week now because my performance is SOOOO much better w/ a clean smooth diff than w/ a gritty one. I have a mcmaster thrust and a set of ceramic balls so i don't replace any parts just sand my rings flat on 600 or 400 grit sand paper clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol and rebuild w/ green slime on the balls and black grease on the thrust. I've also made it a habit to check the bearing in the diff once a week too. For whatever reason the losi ones seem to die a quick death.

A though just struck me ... anyone have an old losi hydradrive laying around they wish to donate? I wonder if we could retrofit that. If memory serves isn't rather small?

I will look,i have some old stuff stored away,i would like to try a gear diff-At Novak this year in 17.5 i was tq until the last round ,which i was on a tq pace again when my diff let go-so it dropped me to 2nd maybe the durability of the gear diff would be the way to go.