R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
dragnse7en
Suspended

Thumbs up

Bought some genuine tamiya TA05/TRF hop - up stuff today after I paid all my bills.

My points of interest:

#53893 - LW carbon reinf. lower deck:
Still not going to use a digital steering servo, Better safe than to be sorry and slap down 85 bucks for a nice servo that has a 50/50 chance of getting fried; money will go to upgrades instead. This thing has got to feel much stiffer than the flexy kit box chassis for sure. (read down though)

#84006 - Aluminum Diff Joints (black):
Ive had three high-precision diff joints break all too easy (I think so) in the past three years, so I hope this is worth it. I had to buy two sets, as one pack only takes care of one diff.

#53905 - Blue Aluminum Chassis Side Brace:
Too much flex w/ that box kit side brace. The chassis seems the most weakest in the flex department, and especially since I have to mill out the ESC bay in the chassis tub for the Mamba Max Pro to get it to fit, I need a stiffer brace. Wish me luck as I do the same thing to the new LW carbon lower deck

#53884 - Carbon Fiber Battery Plate Set:
Don't get me wrong; the kit box battery plate/ bar or whatever you wanna call it is great. I'm sporting a 40C 5000mAh lipo, so I no longer need the two-sided thing no more. Call it "bling" I guess, but I figured if it's only a lipo, it doesn't need the reverse old skool battery pattern up on top.

#53914 26mm Dish Wheel (0 Offset):
Yeah, not a new part from the box, but more of a replacement. I haven't had a set of tires mounted on dishes since I first ran it, and they're much easier to clean. I miss the dishes, and don't have a set. Gotta have some dishes!!!

#53124 3mm Tungsten-Carbide Diff Ball Set:
A critical upgrade for my Rear Diff. The little instruction slip said to tighten up the diff just as you would in the box kit, and although they are about a year old, have zero pits or flat spots. They also give less wear on the diff plates, in which they bragged about, and I quite agree. Long wear and long life.

My TA05R isn't a pure Tamiya virgin either:

(? Part No.) 3Racing 54mm Touring Car Damper Kit:
I like the fatter bore shock on this manufacturer, and the pistons also have more options. They leak as much as an old AE buggy shock, but the top half seal never dies. I am thinking of going back to the TRFs, or swap them out with the AE TC5's dampers - we'll see . . . .

#N004 Acer Racing Ceramic Nitride 3.0mm Diff Balls:
For the front diff, since that action plus steering equals more heat. I haven't installed them yet, still waiting on the black aluminum diff joints, but I expect these to perform like super space plastic versions of my hop up balls in the rear. They look like perfectly round pumpkin seeds!!!!!

#4495 HPI X Pattern Belted Radial (Pro Compound):
I have always been looking for a tire with more teeth, but the molded in belts in this high-grip asphalt tire is my best choice for now. HPI and Tamiya have both come out with new belted radial patterns, so we'll see. This is my fav although tire wear is much greater than my practice tires which still have no run-out . . . .

So, stay tuned for future post - upgrade pics, wish me luck and happy hunting to all!!!