Thread: Tamiya FF03
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 AM
colt1402
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
Did my first race with the FF03 today. Tried some different things through out the day.

I ran it with a SP V3 17.5 in a no-timing class using a KO BMC(finally found a use for it) I ended up with a FDR of 3.1 using a 74spur and 62T pinion, temped around 150F.

Had some hard time keeping up with the 4WD out of the turns, but was able to make up on the straight. There is huge potential for corner speed if you can find the correct tire/insert combination for the front and rear. Using the same tires F/R is ok, but does not feel optimal. You will need to warm up the rear prior to the race or you will be doing donuts for the first 5 laps.

Zero front droop is mandatory, and some rear anti-squat helped too.

I also tried widening up the front track width using 1B blocks, and felt really stable. I think the 1XD fronts make the car too nervous imo. I think whatever lightening parts you can use on this car (w/o sacrificing strength) is key to battle against 4wd. I'd like to try a much harder spring/shock setup next time as there still is a lot of body roll.
Hihi, is the zero front droop meaning to create the MAXIMUM downstop? Meaning when lifting the front bumper(alot), the wheel will still touch the ground? Thank you if you could share & explain more to me.