R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
dragnse7en
Suspended

On a different note . . . .

I was running my car last Sunday, and one of the screws that holds the front suspension arm mount came loose, fell out, and all hell broke loose.

Keep in mind, I bought this car off ebay as an assembled roller, virtually new w/o scratches or any wear. I have a TA05-R I bought new and used blue thread locking compound on all the screws fastened to metal parts.

After realizing I lost a spacer and two shims for the inner hinge pin, I decided to tear the car apart. I found at least a dozen other screws fastened to metal were very loose as well.

As I tore the rest of the chassis down, I noticed that whatever was used as a thread locking compound looked like CA glue; other screws had a cakey white powder on their threads.

Needless to say, I am rebuilding my kit from ground zero, and will be using the same TL compound as I did on my TA05-R.

I may or may not be barking up the right tree, however it needs to be said; substituting the right thing will only cost more later down the road!!!!

I use CA glue on a regular basis, for resin model kits and regular models, and have used it for decades.

CA glue is brittle when dry, and no matter how much is used, will crack apart under tension.

I highly suggest against substitutions, unless in a pinch at the track where it's only needed for a few heats.