R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LIPO Battery
Thread: LIPO Battery
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
TheFcuddy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Lipo has made this hobby so much better. It's not just about runtime or cycles, you just don't have to do anything besides ensure you don't leave the thing fully charged for days, balance charge, and use low voltage cut-off -- that's it for maintenance. Sure they can go off, but I have a scar from a nickle cell blowing up and have recently had nimh's vent at 225F due to peak being missed by the charger -- they're not terribly safe either. The one that got my arm wasn't being charged -- an exacto rolled up next to it and shorted it out, then in a few moments -- BANG!

I want to hear more details. These things just don't go off without reason. They sit on shelves in warehouses and hang on the wall or in the glass case at hobby stores in shrink wrap -- they're not being maintained there.

I've seen quite a few lipos shorted out, charged and used when puffed, sizzle and smoke, and not one huge fire from one. I know they happen -- but in my experience they're quite stable unless really abused. Constant overcharging without balancing is a good way to make a lipo bomb as well.

We need more information.
Agreed! I purchased a lipo and it was out of balance and puffed on arrival. I didn't want the thing hanging around so I took it out back and shot it with a rifle to see what would happen. It was unimpressive to say the least. It was kind of like shooting a box of tissues.

Now as far as accountability goes when it comes to who actually made the lipo, things will get complicated. It's kind of like that magic trick where there is one ball under on of three red cups. The magician moves the cups around and tries to deceive you as to where the ball actually is. There is no doubt in my mind that you will chase these battery manufacturers around for years, years (ya, several years) trying to find out what entity actually made the battery. There will be several lawyers per entity saying they don't know who the other entity is when they are probably all related by blood. Again, this happens everyday when it comes to overseas manufacturing.

I am not saying I like this, hell no, this pisses me off. Being an American, I wish everything I bought was made here on this soil. That's not the way it is though so we deal with it and the problems that arise. We really have no control, that's why I am sitting here ranting on the internet and the corporations and politicians are sitting where they are. If you're friend is looking for some retribution, he better find a solidly established lawyer who thinks this wild goose chase is anywhere close to a good case. You both better put your helmets on and wait to see what comes out on the other side in 3+ years of corporation entity alchemy.