R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RCGT
Thread: HPI RCGT
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Kevin, this is one of those things that I'm glad people are still talking about. There were many positive comments made toward limiting the batteries. Cost was the primary concern. Most drivers know the market pretty well. The 30c figure was thought to be the limit for the less expensive battery options. Once you go above that,cost seems to go up rapidly. So the question becomes "How can we help people enter the class at a reasonable cost based on ALL the necessary equipment".
On the other hand, you make a valid point. In the big picture, there's a point where by trying to solve one issue you create a bigger issue.

I'd like to ask the question openly again and see if this is worth revisiting.

Are we making to much of the "C" rating issue and actually making RCGT less accessible ?
Should we consider adopting a simple 5000mah limit?
Here is my POV on this....you are basically using the ROAR rules for Motors and ESC's so why not use the ROAR list of batteries? Failure to use this part as a reference for what lipo is legal can lead to someone having to buy another battery pack or packs. If someone new wants to start racing and they get into RCGT and have a blast and want to then move in to say ROAR sportsman class but the battery pack they first picked up was a non-ROAR approved pack they now have to buy another pack to move up a class. The same thing for someone who is looking at RCGT as a second class. They probably have a ROAR pack or packs already but are now in a situation where they will have to buy another pack to race this class. The class needs to be as cost effective as it can.

Really what should be happening is we should be pushing ROAR to make the sportsman class RCGT like....meaing using the Sportsman rules just open the bodies to all the cool looking bodies. Then I really think the class would take off. Too many people are looking at RCGT and think its only a HPI promoted class.

Also the C rating is really meaningless with the limited ESC's and 17.5 or 21.5 motors. You are never going to pull out a high load to take advantage of the C rating. I think there is too much weight placed on the C rating of packs. Racers are always about numbers and when we see a higher number in a battery pack we assume its instantly better. But the problem is there isn’t a real way to check this C rating over 30 or 40C. I mean really I can start to sell packs at 100C rating but if no one has a machine to check that they can handle 100C it’s never going to be proven wrong and guys would be lining up to buy them because of the higher number.