R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-2
Thread: Mugen MTX-2
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Ah10
Tech Master

Default Re: ? on 2 speed clutch/NEGATIVE DIFF ?

Originally posted by VinDollar
Carpet killa:

I switch to a kawahara 2 speed because i hear on this board and from some friends that the stock 2 speed is inconsistant when used with a modified engine. I ordered a Richey mt-12 9 port eagle so i though just to upgrade just in case. The stock was fine with my non-turbo mt-12 though.

TO ALL THAT HAS THE KAWAHARA NEGATIVE DIFF:

I just purchase this diff and wanted to know what diff rate to use in it. I'm a little confused to what it should be or should i run what is recomended stock for the car. I have the front one way also.
I am running my Negative Diff myself and I have it since last june. Now here is how I did to my diff.

1. please dont use the white nylon bushing for the bevel gear shaft, it is too thick and make the gear meshing too tight. Use the one from stock, the thin shinny color washer. it will give you much better gear meshing.

2. I am using Racer's Choice Hyspin Lube as diff oil. I found out using regular sillicon base diff oil will be very hard on those small diff gears(I am not the only one saying this so that means I am not bullshitting.) If you are going to use such lube as I mentioned, first you want to lightly coat all the bevel gear with the lube(not too much just enough) then close the housing back. be carefull when you close it and torque it down with the proper way, 1, 3, 2, 4 sequence, since the diff housing is Aluminum, it will warped, so handle it with care . Then after may be like 5 tanks or so open the diff up again, you should see all the lube will kind of lightly covered all the gears and the rest got spin to the side of the housing then add alittle bit more of those lube and close it up, Bam you have a perfect Negative Diff.

After the relube, I havent opened up my diff since and it was like 6 months ago and it still feel the same as it was back then!

Oh the diff action should be very very smooth without anything binding, It's kind of feel like using regular 5k weight oil (or may be less). And this is what you want because once it spins up fast enough it will become a solid axle so you want your diff to be as smooth and loose as possible to gain advantages of the Negative Diff!

Hope this help!