R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - US v. Europe
Thread: US v. Europe
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Edumakated
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

RC will never be a major spectator sport. The exposure it gets can most certainly be improved, but it will never be the huge sport with Drake on the cover of a Wheaties box.

Even BMX isn't that huge. In fact, race coverage has fallen off dramatically over the past 20 or so years. Now the magazines are mostly dirt jumping and street because those do in fact make for good spectators. Simple and easy to understand. Spectators aren't going to sit through 200 motos at a national BMX race.

RC has the same problem but it is even worse. It makes for good entertainment to spectators who aren't there racing themselves all for about five minutes. The tracks are located out in the middle of hickville. The noise and smoke can be irritating.

My hope though is that with e 1/8 catching on we will see larger tracks in more populated areas. A dream of mine would be to open a large RC facility near a shopping mall so you would get a lot of curious people to come check it out. However, I don't have any notion that RC will be this huge sport with a bunch of highly paid factory drivers. Heck, BMX is significantly larger than RC and there are only maybe 10 pros in any given year in the US that really race pro as a full time job making decent coin.