R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RCGT....Where is it at now?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
HarryN
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svines1972
I decided to build and race one due to the realistic bodies and tires. TC has become so out of touch with reality that I am no longer interested in it. I thought the rules were already set in stone regarding RCGT. I decided to put a car together by the rules thet were stated to me. Cyclone TC / Cirtix 17.5 combo / Saleen Body / HPI X Pattern tires. I was able to put the car together for under $400.00 not counting the servo and transponder. So far I have only ran it on an indoor carpet track 90 x 45. The speed is decent but not balistic, very controllable. I plan on running it in the OC Circuit outdoors. I think on the larger tracks a 21.5 would be too slow and boring.

I temporarily converted the car to a TC to run a spec class, and to tell you the truth, it handles better set up as RCGT.

I consider myself an intermediate driver and I know my limits as far as ability. I do this for fun. I don't have 7 days a week to practice and improve my skills. I started back in the early 90's at the Ranch Pit stop racing oval. I started as a NOVICE, there it is I said it, and I set a goal for myself that I would not move up until I won at least 2 a mains. I don't understand the fear in using that term or using BEGINNER for a class. New racers need to be realistic and accept what they are. Too many want to jump right in and be a PRO.

RCGT under the current rules is a good class to start in. I would agree with limiting the ESC to the spec and regular ESC's. No need for the RS or others like it in this class.

What I have witnessed is a constant desire to dilute a class. Set the rules, keep it simple and enforce them and abide by them.

Just my .02
I highlighted the bold points since they are very pertinent to the discussion.

If racers can spend close to $1,000 for racing, they can surely spend $80 on a Speed Passion Citrix combo.

As far as 21.5, totally agree. It can be very slow on large tracks such as the one Apex and I race at.

This is some very good input right here.