R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Yokomo TC, the BD-5
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Barry White
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dual Fuel
I actually totally agree with you. When I did my Mechanical theory at trade school we did a whole chapter on springs and yes Progressive springs are supposed to be tighter coiled either at one end or both. At least in the full-size world!
I was told by some-one at the last worlds who was told by an X-Factory Yokomo driver that the Yokomo springs were progressive.
Maybe they are not!! Perhaps Martin could jump in here and put the record strait.

I guess what really matters is how they perform for each of us but it would be nice to know for sure!
I could be wrong but here's what I think:
There are different linear coiled springs that for example read 200gr at 1cm compression. From those springs the are some with fewer/more winds or a smaller/bigger diameter. Although the winds are parallel to each other one spring will have for example 100gr @ 0.5cm, 200gr @ 1cm, 300gr @ 2cm and an other will have 75gr @ 0.5cm, 200gr @ 1cm, 325gr @ 2cm. So people will say one is more progressive becouse it gets harder compared to an other spring although spring rates stay linear and is something completely different than a real progressive spring with different coils.