R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 10min+ Run Time Engines?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think all the forum hype over runtimes is a bunch of malarkey to be honest...... everyone brags online how they get all this crazy runtime, yet when I watch live RC I rarely see anyone pit later then 8 minutes at the top level.... The part that bothers me is people actually basing their engine purchases off runtime being the number 1 factor..... Yet they are going to pit at 8 minutes like everybody else anyways.....So whats the point ? As I say I have been making a point of watching as many races on LiveRC as I can, and nearly everybody pits at 8 minutes or less...heck some of the top pro's are pitting much sooner then that and still winning races............Why not purchase an engine for its performance capabilities instead ? to me runtime is nothing more then something people can brag about online, as in the big races I am seeing almost nobody pit after 8 minutes anyways... so if a 8 minute or less pitstop is good for the top pro's, its good enough for you club racers !

What even bothers me more is seeing rookie's basing their engine choice simply based off runtime due to all the hype on the forums.... These guys are soo new they barely know how to tune, and yet they are looking for the most runtime possible as that is all that is talked about on the forums .... No thought of powerband, tune stability, trigger feel etc...all they want is a motor that can get 14 minutes runtime..they wouldn't care if the motor tunes like crap, has no power and a lightswitch trigger as long as it gets over 10 minutes.... To me buy an engine based off its overall performance first...runtimes will come when you learn to tune and drive correctly anyways !

Last edited by Maximo; 06-08-2010 at 06:42 AM.