R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Datalogging devices & ESC rules
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 AM
ShadowAu
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameover
In fact a brushless ESC could be considered illegal as an RPM "sensor" is obviously part of it's design.
Actually no... there is no RPM "sensor"... best guess based on information found online is the RPM is derived from reading the Hall sensors... its actually quite complicated...I am led to believe thats why Tekin has had the jump on the other ESC manufacturers as they have come up with the best way of doing it..

I personally don't have an issue with using data-logging in unofficial practice... and I don't have a problem with the automatic features of ESC's etc as long as the DRIVER cannot access/modify them DURING the race... and actually rule 3.3.5 says "A mechanical or electronic speed controller may include a mechanical or electronic device to limit the current/voltage passed from the batteries to the drive motor (eg timed delay, current limiter, keyboard programs). Setting or programming of such a device must only be possible whilst the car is stationary".
...there is no definition of what that limiter can use to determine its action as long as the PROGRAM cannot be changed during the race... so a limiter that might use temperature is technically not illegal as long as it doesn't use an external sensor (3.3.1).

Current ESC can't be considered illegal as they don't use external sensors... the rules don't actually restrict what can be internal... and given that sensored brushless motors are allowed Hall sensors (Phase) and a temp sensor (AAECMCC ELECTRIC MOTOR & BATTERY RULES 4.1.3) there is nothing illegal about them

Last edited by ShadowAu; 06-03-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: because I can't spell